Harry J. Winograd
Harry concentrates in business litigation with emphasis on trial practice. He has represented clients in sixteen (16) states, appearing in both state and federal courts and arbitration. He also serves as an Adjunct Professor at Emory University School of Law in the Kessler-Eidson Trial Techniques Program.
Harry uses his experience to develop effective solutions to the most complex, difficult and often contentious business arrangements. Harry co-authors the authoritative legal resource book “Georgia Business Litigation” in which he covers “Limited Liability Company and Partnership Litigation.” Harry also serves as Co-Chair, The Atlanta Lawyer, the official magazine of the Atlanta Bar Association. He has published articles with the Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Georgia and other publications. Harry is a sought after speaker on topics including business divorces, data and e-discovery, damages in commercial litigation, restrictive covenants, and trade secrets.
Harry is recognized by his peers as an AV Attorney by Martindale-Hubbell (the highest possible rating) and by Judges as a Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Judicial Edition rated attorney (the highest possible rating reflecting the confidential opinions of the members of the Bar and Judiciary). He is rated 10 out of 10 by AVVO, and for each year since 2004 Harry is recognized as a Georgia Super Lawyer (chosen through the independent research of Law & Politics magazine and published in Atlanta magazine) and he has been recognized by Georgia Trend magazine as a Legal Elite.
Georgia Court of Appeals
Georgia Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Georgia
J.D., Emory University School of Law
B.A., University of Pittsburgh
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
– Adjunct Professor, Emory University School of Law Kessler-Eidson Trial and Techniques Program
– Atlanta Bar Association (Sections on Litigation, Labor & Employment, Corporate Counsel, International Law, Privacy & Cybersecurity)
– Business Council of Georgia (Representative)
– ESI Roundtable
– Fulton County Superior Court (Arbitrator)
– Million Dollar Trial Lawyer
– State Bar of Georgia (Sections on Litigation, Business, Corporate Counsel, Dispute Resolution, E-Discovery)
Presentations and Publications
– Co-Author, Georgia Business Litigation, ALM, 2013 – 2022
– Co-Chair, The Atlanta Lawyer Magazine, 2021 – 2022
– Moderator and Co-Author, Professionalism Plus: Protect IP, Trade Secrets and In-House Counsel Privilege During Litigation, Corporate IP Institute (CIPI) for the Georgia IP Alliance 2021
– Speaker, Trade Secret Protection in the Pharmaceutical Industry, The Knowledge Group 2021
– Speaker, LLC and Partnership Disputes, Business Law Institute, 2019
– Panelist, Attorney Client Privilege Pitfalls for In-House Counsel, Atlanta Bar Association – Corporate Counsel Section, 2019
– Speaker, Preserving ESI and your Sanity: Best Practices in E-Discovery, ICLE, 2018
– Panelist, E-Discovery Information Loss and Privacy, Association of Corporate Counsel
– Panelist, Decade of Discovery, Emory University School of Law
– Speaker, Electronically Stored Information, ESI Roundtable Atlanta, 2015
– Co-Author, Discovery Under the Georgia Civil Practice Act, ICLE, 1984
– Author, Practical Guide to Georgia Discovery, ICLE, 1986
– Author, The New Business Case Division: Fulton County’s Million Dollar Court, The Atlanta Lawyer magazine, 2006
– Supreme Court of Georgia Chief Justice’s Commission on Professionalism, 1991, 1993
– Representative Seminar Topics; Business Divorces, Damages in Commercial Litigation, E-Discovery Amendments to Federal Rules, E-Discovery Information Loss and Privacy, Restrictive Covenants, Trial Techniques
Awards and Honors
AV Rated – Martindale-Hubbell (highest possible rating)
AV Preeminent – Martindale-Hubbell Judicial Edition (highest rating by the Bar and Judiciary)
10 Rated – AVVO (highest possible rating)
Georgia Super Lawyer – Super Lawyers magazine, 2004-2022
Legal Elite – Georgia Trend magazine, 2007-2009, 2012, 2013
Profiled in The Atlanta Lawyer, 2006
– Corporate action to remove one of three original owners for misfeasance in insurance services company.
– Defended claims from minority owner against the corporation, a closely held entertainment complex.
– Defended national children’s toy company in trademark litigation.
– Defended limousine company against trade name claims of a national company.
– Infringement damages arising from deceptive confusing trade name.
– Litigation arising from the right to exercise control over inherited shares of a closely held business.
– Prosecuted claims for commissions arising out of wrongful termination of distributorship agreement in a heavy equipment manufacturing distribution company.
– Prosecuted claims for a theft of trade secrets and fiduciary duties of an officer setting up a competing business.
– Prosecuted claims for damages arising from termination of a retail services contract.
– Recovered damages for failure to preform national staffing contract.
– Represented law firm partners in several cases to establish new practice.
– Represented physician to recover money owed from physician partner and to avoid restrictive covenants in medical services agreement.
– Represented international diversified talent agency in competitive dispute regarding employee mobility.
– Represented co-owners of a financing company prosecuting claims against other co-owner for usurping business opportunity and unfair competition.
– Represented national pest control company in case to enforce non-competition agreement against acquired business seller.
– Represented seller to overturn fraudulent appraisal in a commercial real estate transaction.
– Represented co-owner of a family held manufacturer and distribution business arguing over control and succession.
– Represented national franchisor bringing suit against certain franchises for failure to honor marketing agreement.
– Represented business owner in suit to recover payment in a seller finance sale of textile services business and successfully defended claims of the buyer.
– Represented Health Care Executive terminated by Hospital Authority.
– Re-established control of software company from management team.
– Suit to collect money owed for the sale of a grocery store and defeated personal tort allegations by the buyer.