Jacob A. Maurer
Jacob A. Maurer
Jake Maurer is a Principal in the Litigation Section and has been with the firm since 2000. Jake’s practice focuses on representing individuals and businesses in a wide range of commercial and business litigation matters including contract disputes, real estate litigation, judgment enforcement and creditor’s rights, shareholder disputes and business torts, and commercial leasing matters.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- J.D., University of Georgia
- cum laude
- Articles Editor, Georgia Law Review
- B.S., University of Illinois
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Lawyers Club
- State Bar of Georgia (Business, Creditor’s Rights, General Practice/Trial Law and Real Property Law Sections)
- Successfully challenged the constitutionality of a proposed $7.2 million revenue bond that was intended to finance the construction of a golf course in a designated industrial park. Haney v. Development Authority of Bremen, 271 Ga. 403 (1999)
- Successfully represented an employer in obtaining a pre-judgment garnishment against a former employee who committed acts of theft and conversion of employer’s assets.
- Successfully represented a creditor to enforce a judgment in excess of $5 million in a case involving fraudulent transfers between closely held companies and family members.
- Represented a German manufacturer in enforcing a consignment and security agreement with its American distributor by successfully seizing collateral inventory and obtaining a final judgment in excess of $600,000.
- Successfully represented the seller of a business at trial to obtain a jury verdict of $750,000 for compensatory and punitive damages against the buyer for breach of the purchase agreement and fraud.
- Successfully represented the owner of a real estate development company to obtain the complete dismissal of claims against him, exceeding $3.5 million, asserted by the general contractor for a mixed use development project.
- Served as special counsel to bankruptcy trustee in Southern District of Florida to successfully prosecute claims against the debtor’s insiders to set aside and avoid fraudulent transfers.
- Successfully represented real estate investor in obtaining a judgment in excess of $9 million against the real estate developers and to obtain a settlement for payment of the judgment.
- Represented commercial lender to successfully confirm the foreclosure sale of collateral properties.
- Successfully represented shareholder in complex business divorce with business co-owner involving claims for breach of fiduciary duty, conversion and breach of contract and successfully obtained restraining order against co-owner to preserve company assets.
- Successfully represented a software company to resolve royalty claims under a software marketing and licensing agreement.
- Successfully defended automobile financing company in case involving tort claims for wrongful repossession and infliction of emotional distress and obtained complete dismissal of all claims.