Harry J. Winograd
Location:3490 Piedmont Road, NE Suite 1400
Atlanta, Georgia 30305
Harry J. Winograd
An experienced trial attorney, Harry Winograd concentrates on complex commercial litigation. Harry represents businesses and individuals throughout the country in all stages of litigation and arbitration in state and federal courts. Harry successfully handles cases involving LLC and corporate break-ups, restrictive covenants in executive employment (non-competes and no solicitation), trade secrets, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, business divorces, business management and internal succession. Harry uses his experience to develop effective solutions to the most complex and often contentious disputes. Harry’s intelligent, committed approach to business litigation and trial practice has earned him national recognition.
Harry co-authors the authoritative legal resource book “Georgia Business Litigation” in which he covers “Limited Liability Company and Partnership Litigation.” He serves as Co-Editor of The Atlanta Lawyer, the official magazine of the Atlanta Bar Association. Harry also trains America’s future trial attorneys as an Adjunct Professor for his alma mater, Emory University School of Law in the Kessler-Eidson Trial Techniques Program.
For each year since 2004, Harry is recognized as a Georgia Super Lawyer (limited to the top 5% of attorneys in Georgia, chosen through the independent research of Law & Politics magazine and published in Atlanta magazine). Harry is peer rated AV Preeminent by both Martindale-Hubbell and the Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Judicial Edition (the highest possible rating reflecting the confidential opinions of the members of the Bar and Judiciary). Among other honors, he is rated 10 out of 10 by AVVO in the area of litigation and he has been recognized by Georgia Trend magazine as a Legal Elite.
While at the Firm, Harry and his wife raised four sons. They also enjoy skiing, hiking, traveling, and walking their good dog.
- Georgia Supreme Court
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- U.S. Court of Appeals, for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Georgia
- J.D., Emory University School of Law
- B.A., University of Pittsburgh
- Emory University School of Law Kessler-Eidson Trial and Techniques Program, Adjunct Professor
- Atlanta Bar Association (Sections on Litigation, Labor & Employment, Corporate Counsel, International Law, Privacy & Cybersecurity)
- Business Council of Georgia (Representative)
- ESI Roundtable
- Fulton County Superior Court (Arbitrator)
- Million Dollar Trial Lawyer
- State Bar of Georgia (Sections on Litigation, Business, Corporate Counsel, Dispute Resolution, E-Discovery)
- Co-Author, Georgia Business Litigation, ALM, 2013 – 2023
- Co-Chair, The Atlanta Lawyer Magazine, 2021 – 2023
- Moderator and Co-Author, Professionalism Plus: Protect IP, Trade Secrets and In-House Counsel Privilege During Litigation, Corporate IP Institute (CIPI) for the Georgia IP Alliance, 2021
- Speaker, Trade Secret Protection in the Pharmaceutical Industry, The Knowledge Group, 2021
- Speaker, LLC and Partnership Disputes, Business Law Institute, 2019
- Panelist, Attorney-Client Privilege Pitfalls for In-House Counsel, Atlanta Bar Association – Corporate Counsel Section, 2019
- Speaker, Preserving ESI and your Sanity: Best Practices in E-Discovery, ICLE, 2018
- Panelist, E-Discovery Information Loss and Privacy, Association of Corporate Counsel
- Panelist, Decade of Discovery, Emory University School of Law
- Speaker, Electronically Stored Information, ESI Roundtable Atlanta, 2015
- Co-Author, Discovery Under the Georgia Civil Practice Act, ICLE, 1984
- Author, Practical Guide to Georgia Discovery, ICLE, 1986
- Author, The New Business Case Division: Fulton County’s Million Dollar Court, The Atlanta Lawyer magazine, 2006
- Supreme Court of Georgia Chief Justice’s Commission on Professionalism, 1991, 1993
- Representative Seminar Topics; Business Divorces, Damages in Commercial Litigation, E-Discovery Amendments to Federal Rules, E-Discovery Information Loss and Privacy, Restrictive Covenants, Trial Techniques
- AV Rated – Martindale-Hubbell (highest possible rating)
- AV Preeminent – Martindale-Hubbell Judicial Edition (highest rating by the Bar and Judiciary)
- 10 Rated – AVVO (highest possible rating)
- Georgia Super Lawyer – Super Lawyers magazine, 2004-2023
- Legal Elite – Georgia Trend magazine, 2007-2009, 2012, 2013
- Profiled in The Atlanta Lawyer, 2006
- Corporate action to remove one of three original owners for misfeasance in insurance services company.
- Defended claims from minority owner against the corporation, a closely held entertainment complex.
- Defended national children’s toy company in trademark litigation.
- Defended limousine company against trade name claims of a national company.
- Infringement damages arising from deceptive confusing trade name.
- Litigation arising from the right to exercise control over inherited shares of a closely held business.
- Prosecuted claims for commissions arising out of wrongful termination of distributorship agreement in a heavy equipment manufacturing distribution company.
- Prosecuted claims for a theft of trade secrets and fiduciary duties of an officer setting up a competing business.
- Prosecuted claims for damages arising from termination of a retail services contract.
- Recovered damages for failure to perform national staffing contract.
- Represented law firm partners in several cases to establish new practice.
- Represented physician to recover money owed from physician partner and to avoid restrictive covenants in medical services agreement.
- Represented international diversified talent agency in competitive dispute regarding employee mobility.
- Represented co-owners of a financing company prosecuting claims against other co-owner for usurping business opportunity and unfair competition.
- Represented national pest control company in case to enforce non-competition agreement against acquired business seller.
- Represented seller to overturn fraudulent appraisal in a commercial real estate transaction.
- Represented co-owner of a family held manufacturer and distribution business arguing over control and succession.
- Represented national franchisor bringing suit against certain franchises for failure to honor marketing agreement.
- Represented business owner in suit to recover payment in a seller finance sale of textile services business and successfully defended claims of the buyer.
- Represented Health Care Executive terminated by Hospital Authority.
- Re-established control of software company from management team.
- Suit to collect money owed for the sale of a grocery store and defeated personal tort allegations by the buyer.