Jake Maurer is a Principal in the Litigation Section and has been with the firm since 2000. Jake’s practice focuses on representing individuals and businesses in a wide range of commercial and business litigation matters including contract disputes, real estate litigation, judgment enforcement and creditor’s rights, shareholder disputes and business torts, and commercial leasing matters.
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
J.D., University of Georgia
– cum laude
– Articles Editor, Georgia Law Review
B.S., University of Illinois
Jacob A. Maurer, Principal
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Atlanta Bar Association
State Bar of Georgia (Business, Creditor’s Rights, General Practice/Trial Law and Real Property Law Sections)
- Successfully challenged the constitutionality of a proposed $7.2 million revenue bond that was intended to finance the construction of a golf course in a designated industrial park. Haney v. Development Authority of Bremen, 271 Ga. 403 (1999)
- Successfully represented an employer in obtaining a pre-judgment garnishment against a former employee who committed acts of theft and conversion of employer’s assets.
- Successfully represented a creditor to enforce a judgment in excess of $5 million in a case involving fraudulent transfers between closely held companies and family members.
- Represented a German manufacturer in enforcing a consignment and security agreement with its American distributor by successfully seizing collateral inventory and obtaining a final judgment in excess of $600,000.
- Successfully represented the seller of a business at trial to obtain a jury verdict of $750,000 for compensatory and punitive damages against the buyer for breach of the purchase agreement and fraud.
- Successfully represented the owner of a real estate development company to obtain the complete dismissal of claims against him, exceeding $3.5 million, asserted by the general contractor for a mixed use development project.
- Served as special counsel to bankruptcy trustee in Southern District of Florida to successfully prosecute claims against the debtor’s insiders to set aside and avoid fraudulent transfers.
- Successfully represented real estate investor in obtaining a judgment in excess of $9 million against the real estate developers and to obtain a settlement for payment of the judgment.
- Represented commercial lender to successfully confirm the foreclosure sale of collateral properties.
- Successfully represented shareholder in complex business divorce with business co-owner involving claims for breach of fiduciary duty, conversion and breach of contract and successfully obtained restraining order against co-owner to preserve company assets.
- Successfully represented a software company to resolve royalty claims under a software marketing and licensing agreement.
- Successfully defended automobile financing company in case involving tort claims for wrongful repossession and infliction of emotional distress and obtained complete dismissal of all claims.